You will have plenty of free time to go and explore Split, take a stroll around your surroundings, catch the most important sites, interact with the locals or simply relax! And of course, you will have your weekends off as well!
You can also join in optional activies (at own cost).
By learning some Croatian, you will be able and communicate more effectively during your stay. Although it's not widely spoken, Croatian is quite special and you are sure to amaze your friends and family by knowing a few phrases!
The language lessons are tailored to each volunteer and are taught by a professional Croatian teacher. All the classes run from Monday to Friday, and the cost is very affordable. Let us know if you are interested!
Tours & Activities
During your free time, you can choose between many tours and activities, we have prepared something for everyone! You will discover them all in the orientation session but here are just some of the examples of the tours & activities you can do:
- Challenge your limits by rafting in the Cetina river!
- Why not try the Zipline in Omis canyon?
- Walk among mesmerizing waterfalls at Plitvice National Park
- Invisible Zagreb: This walking tour will give you a completely different perspective of the capital city, Zagreb. It shows you Zagreb as homeless people view it. It's completely run by former and current homeless people and your donation goes directly to them.
- Cook Croatia: Come to the rural part of Croatia and join a family in learning to make their favorite traditional dish with domestic produce such a prosciutto and wine. What better way to experience the culture than through food!?
- Treasure Hunt Tour: Discover the island Hvar in a unique way: with a treasure hunt book. Follow the clues and solve riddles that take you around landmarks in Hvar. It's a fun group activity or for one person who wants to discover the history
Hostel Omiš is situated in Omiš, just a short walk from the Mirabela Fortress and a 10-minute walk from the city beach. Hostel Omiš features free WiFi throughout the property. Volunteers should expect to share a room with up to 7 other volunteers, depending on the availability the volunteers will be separated by gender. The bathrooms are shared but separated by gender. There is also a luggage storage space on site. The hostel also has a shared common room for relaxing. Bedding and towels are provided by the hostel. Local staff do clean the accommodation throughout the week, though volunteers are required to keep their rooms tidy.
What should I do when I arrive at the airport?
Anja, your local coordinator, will contact you via WhatsApp a week before your arrival, so you can e-meet and discuss your arrival details.
She will be waiting for you at the airport when you arrive and is reachable 24/7, in case of any travel updates or troubles.
Pick-up at the airport is included.
What if I arrive at another location?
Just let us know and we can organize your pick up anywhere in Split.
The project is within walking distance of the hostel in Omis.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner is included (Local style. Vegetarian, gluten-free and meals for lactose-intolerant are also available upon request.) On Sundays and Mondays, the restaurant at the hostel closes early, which means you need to eat there before 17:00 or pack dinner for later. There is also a well-equipped kitchen in the hostel that is available to make your own meals.